arcHELI V8 Blackhawk

• February 19, 2018, 11:21:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic:  Gold wings  (Read 10310 times)

Deet

Gold wings
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2015, 01:06:02 PM »

Quote from: nige69;1610723
And those of us that already fly larger than 2kg, do we get an upgrade of our bronze to silver?

Just got this in an email from the MAAA

"When the Silver Wings were introduced in the February edition of Wingspan, members were told that those who currently hold Bronze Wings will be able to get Silver Wings as replacements, from their State Association."

So it seems you just need to ask for your free upgrade :)

nige69

• Club: Namagi SFC
    • Liked: 1
      • http://www.intertech.net.au/dnn/
    Gold wings
    « Reply #121 on: May 22, 2015, 01:33:46 PM »

Thanks for that bit of info :)  I hadn't subscribed to the the Wingspan magazine put out by MAAA (but have now :) )
      Nigel
      ----------------
      Velocity 50N2, Gaui NX7, JR-XG14
      My Web Site: http://www.intertech.net.au/dnn4/

TomC

• Club: GCMFC
      • Liked: 4
      • Likes Given: 36
      Gold wings
      « Reply #122 on: May 22, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »

Quote from: Deet;1610719
      Not many multis over 2kg

Ya, I do not see many multirotors at our field over ~0.8-1.2kg.  I don't understand why at well equipped 350-450 multi cannot be used for silver/gold.

In my opinion the 2kg min weight for silver/gold  across the board for planes, heli's, gliders, multi's (surprised they did not have this for rockets as well, lol!) is a pretty poor decision.  

I sort of see the logic on heli's since it puts you into a min ~550 sized heli that is a bit safer/easier to auto (although I have seen a few successful autos with 450's).  Maybe a bit restrictive for slightly lighter 500 helis.

Most 2m electric powered gliders do not weigh more than 1kg.  You don't get above 2kg until you get into ~3m size.

Also, lots of very capable electric planes in the 1-1.5kg range.

I kinda think that there will be a re-think on all this in the very near future.

Cheers,
      TomC
        Lots of Blade Heli's, TT X50E, Ion-x, HC/BD3sx on most
        Lots of E-Planks, multi's, now into FPV, MAAA Gold Wings, Heli's and Planes

Deet

Gold wings
        « Reply #123 on: May 22, 2015, 09:59:35 PM »

I talk to Maaa today, they will be dropping the 2kg silver wings thing for multis

So there won't be bronze multi-rotor wings, you go straight to silver when you do the easier exam

The 2kg thing isn't for gold wings, just a destinction between bronze and silver
        Quote from: TomC;1610756
        Ya, I do not see many multirotors at our field over ~0.8-1.2kg.  I don't understand why at well equipped 350-450 multi cannot be used for silver/gold.

In my opinion the 2kg min weight for silver/gold  across the board for planes, heli's, gliders, multi's (surprised they did not have this for rockets as well, lol!) is a pretty poor decision.  

I sort of see the logic on heli's since it puts you into a min ~550 sized heli that is a bit safer/easier to auto (although I have seen a few successful autos with 450's).  Maybe a bit restrictive for slightly lighter 500 helis.

Most 2m electric powered gliders do not weigh more than 1kg.  You don't get above 2kg until you get into ~3m size.

Also, lots of very capable electric planes in the 1-1.5kg range.

I kinda think that there will be a re-think on all this in the very near future.

Cheers,
        TomC

TomC

• Club: GCMFC
          • Liked: 4
          • Likes Given: 36
          Gold wings
          « Reply #124 on: May 23, 2015, 07:23:25 AM »

Thanks, Deet.  I must have either misinterpreted the min 2kg weight for Gold or read this in an older version of mop 027.

Cheers,
          TomC
            Lots of Blade Heli's, TT X50E, Ion-x, HC/BD3sx on most
            Lots of E-Planks, multi's, now into FPV, MAAA Gold Wings, Heli's and Planes

Deet

Gold wings
            « Reply #125 on: May 23, 2015, 11:04:04 AM »

My conversation with MAAA was only about multi-rotors, I didn't  even look at the MOP when it came to fixed wing

Revised MOP 027 is posted on the  MAAA website now

the 2KG designation is for helis and fixed wing aircraft and only applies to differentiate between Bronze and Silver wings

(this sort of replaces the old "park flyer" specification"

There are now no longer bronze wings for multi-rotors only silver and gold

The gold wings test can be flown with any size aircraft
            « Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:10:48 PM by Deet »
              Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up